I think this recipe gets the record for the most unsuccessful trials! I didn’t want this to be just a plain ol’ bar with pecans. Nope, I wanted it to resemble, and taste similar to real pecan pie. I tried many times to add whey protein to the base, but the result was spongy and cake-like. Not a crunchier crust, like I wanted. So I opted for almond meal (ground up almonds) and coconut flour. It worked great!
So if you’re looking for something that reminds you of pecan pie but isn’t loaded with sugar and white flour…I think you’ll really like this!
- ½ cup almond meal (ground up almonds)
- ½ cup coconut flour, sifted
- ¼ cup butter (or Earth Balance), melted
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 Tbsp butter (or Earth Balance, or margarine)
- 2 Tbsp sucanat (or brown sugar)
- 1 packet stevia
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp rum extract (optional)
- ½ cup pecan halves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mist a 8x8 or 9x9 pan with oil or cooking spray.
- For crust, mix together coconut flour & almond meal in a bowl. In a separate small bowl, mix together beaten eggs and melted butter. Add the egg/butter mixture to the dry and mix until it resembles a crumbly dough.
- Press the dough into the bottom of your pan in an even layer. Poke bottom with fork all over and bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes until golden around the edges.
- When the crust has 5 minutes left, make the topping.
- Melt butter in medium pot over the stove over medium heat. Add sucanat and stevia. Whisk until its starts to boil and comes together. Immediately take off heat and whisk in almond milk and rum extract. Add in pecans and put back on heat until it thickens slightly.
- Once the crust is out of the oven, spread on the topping evenly with a spatula. Return to the 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. Remove, let cool and cut into bars.
Latest posts by Kristine (see all)
- Easy Chickpea Spring Salad with Citrus Dressing - April 4, 2016
- Carrot Cake Protein Balls - March 25, 2016
- Healthy Snacks To Make With The Kids Over Spring Break – Global BC Segment - March 18, 2016