Ok, so I’m a big fan of protein pancakes. You may think they sound weird, but they’re delicious and taste like a crepe!
So quick & easy, you can do so many things with them too. They are not just for breakfast! I always have some handy in the fridge to cut up and pop in the toaster for a quick breakfast or wrap it around a banana with some almond butter (instead of a tortilla!) for a snack. Strawberries & low fat cream cheese stuffed inside (see above!) is delicious. There are many variations of protein pancakes (protein powder, cottage cheese etc) but I just like this more plain version.
You can top them with sweet things (my fave)
or even savory!
BASIC PROTEIN PANCAKES
Makes 4 large pancakes (5 minutes prep, 10 min to make all 4!)
1 cup oats (quick or old fashioned)
1 large carton egg whites (equivalent to 16 egg whites)
1 Tbsp cinnamon (or to taste)
1 Tbsp vanilla (or to taste)
SINGLE SERVING VERSION
Makes 1 large pancake
1/3 cup oats (quick or old fashioned)
5-6 egg whites (from carton. 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp or 3/4 cup)
Preheat a medium sized skillet to medium heat. Using a blender (or Magic Bullet or something smaller for the single serving), add oats & cinnamon and grind into a flour. While its running add vanilla and egg whites. Mist pan with cooking spray. Using a ladle, scoop 1 spoonful of batter to the pan. Cook and flip like a regular pancake until browned.
Nutrition (per pancake)
Cals: 148 Fat: 1.3g Carbs: 15.3g Fibre: 3g Sugars: 1g Protein: 16.6g Sodium: 203mg
IDEAS FOR TOPPINGS
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter and apple slices
- 1 Tbsp coconut butter (not oil!) and low sugar strawberry jam
- Frozen berries cooked in the microwave and poured on top
- 1 egg, slice of turkey bacon
- 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts and fresh blueberries
- Low sugar maple-type syrup
- Frozen mango cooked in microwave and poured on top
- 1 Tbsp almond butter and sliced banana
- Sliced strawberries and 1 Tbsp low fat cream cheese or Tofutti (non-dairy substitute)
- Fresh pineapple pieces and 1 Tbsp coconut butter