Ok, so I’m a big fan of protein pancakes. You may think they sound weird, but they’re delicious and taste like a crepe!
So quick & easy, you can do so many things with them too. They are not just for breakfast! I always have some handy in the fridge to cut up and pop in the toaster for a quick breakfast or wrap it around a banana with some almond butter (instead of a tortilla) for a snack. Strawberries & low fat cream cheese stuffed inside (see above), is delicious. There are many variations of protein pancakes but I like this version as its so simple and easy.
You can top them with sweet things (my fave)
Above is cream cheese, nectarines, syrup and cinnamon
Above is coconut butter and strawberry jam
or even savory!
Above I call this the Canadian. A soft egg, turkey bacon & tomato. I then drizzle with maple syrup.
BASIC PROTEIN PANCAKES
Makes 4 large pancakes (5 minutes prep, 10 min to make all 4!)
1 cup oats (quick or old fashioned)
1 large carton egg whites (equivalent to 16 egg whites)
1 Tbsp cinnamon (or to taste)
1 Tbsp vanilla (or to taste)
SINGLE SERVING VERSION
Makes 1 large pancake
1/3 cup oats (quick or old fashioned)
5-6 egg whites (from carton. 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp or 3/4 cup)
Preheat a medium sized skillet to medium heat. Using a blender (or Magic Bullet or something smaller for the single serving), add oats & cinnamon and grind into a flour. While its running add vanilla and egg whites. Mist pan with cooking spray. Using a ladle, scoop 1 spoonful of batter to the pan. Cook and flip like a regular pancake until browned.
Nutrition (per pancake)
Cals: 148 Fat: 1.3g Carbs: 15.3g Fibre: 3g Sugars: 1g Protein: 16.6g Sodium: 203mg
IDEAS FOR TOPPINGS
– 1 Tbsp peanut butter and apple slices
– 1 Tbsp coconut butter (not the same as coconut oil) and low sugar strawberry jam
– Frozen berries cooked in the microwave and poured on top
– 1 egg, slice of turkey bacon
– 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts and fresh blueberries
– Low sugar maple-type syrup
– Frozen mango cooked in microwave and poured on top
– 1 Tbsp almond butter and sliced banana
– Sliced strawberries and 1 Tbsp low fat cream cheese or Tofutti (non-dairy substitute)
– Fresh pineapple pieces and 1 Tbsp coconut butter